Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pre-departure thoughts

STATUS UPDATE:
All necessary items = purchased.
Six months' worth of clothing and supplies = crammed into one large backpack.
Gift for host family = pralines (thanks for the suggestion, Alexis!) wrapped in a Texas bandana. Yee-haw!
Emotional state = mild panic, kept in check only by sleep deprivation.

It's the night before I leave, and as expected, I can't sleep. I have to wake up in four hours to catch my plane, but ain't no way unconsciousness is happening because I'm an ungodly mixture of nervous and excited. Oh god, just thinking about my imminent attempts to communicate with my host family and the country at large are making me cringe. I don't know how to say any number of crucial things. And to make things worse, I don't have a guidebook. But it'll be an adventure!

3 comments:

  1. Are you proud of us for getting you to the airport on time in the wee hours of the morning? And for your dad only asking you 22 times in 30 minutes...."do you have your passport"?

    Bon Voyage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fantastic time! Enjoy every moment and take at least a thousand photos. Buenas Suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in doubt, mime it. ADIOS AMIGA

    ReplyDelete